Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Book of Bright Ideas - installation


I just finished this work today. It is an 'artist's book' made for an annual exhibition of such books at the Noosa Gallery, Queensland, Australia.
The theme for this years exhibition is "10 + beyond", in reference to this year being the 10th anniversary of the artist's books exhibition.

So my book is called:
'The Book of Bright Ideas'
and this is an explanation of its inspiration:

"About 10 years ago when I was living in Adelaide, South Australia, I had a sudden vision of the swirling energy patterns of unmanifested ideas and forms beyond the blank pages of a notebook. Nowadays I live in Korea, and this book is my memory of that special experience".




The book is constructed out of a hardback book, and a string of 120 electric 'fairy' lights.



It was a big job to carefully glue 241 pages together and then install lights in cavities I cut out between the pages. (Especially when I was trying to get the glue to dry in the middle of the monsoon season!)


I wanted to express the idea of the spiritual inspiration and energy behind all creative work.

No comments: